College Gridiron 365 Sweet 16
Yep, another college football power ranking. Unbiased and responsive to each week’s results and key statistical indicators. Compare with the others out there and share your thoughts.
1. FLORIDA GATORS (1-0). Gators are Numero Uno until they lose, but they don’t get any style points for their 62-3 yawner over 1-AA Southern Charleston. SubUrban needs to get a clue from Oklahoma about what a real non-conference schedule looks like for a national power.
2. TEXAS LONGHORNS (1-0). 59-20 win over Louisiana-Monroe was a snore with sentimental Heisman frontrunner Colt McCoy (21-29, 317 yards, 2 TD passes) leading the onslaught.
3. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE (1-0). ‘Bama’s impressive 34-24 road win over Virginia Tech puts them on the verge of the No. 2 ranking, but that bitter Sugar Bowl aftertaste is still a factor this early in the season.
Alabama hopped over Texas to assume the Number 2 slot following the Longhorns’ sloppy win in Laramie. The rest of this week’s rankings reflect an upward thrust by the SEC with four teams now residing in the top 10.
1. FLORIDA GATORS/SEC (2-0). They turned the cruise control on in Gainesville and zoomed past another vastly overmatched opponent (56-6 over Troy). The Tennessee – Florida match-up used to be a fantastic SEC battle but the Vols are still on the skids and will offer little resistance this week.
2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE/SEC (2-0). The Tide rolled over Florida International, 40-14, but gain little respect this week by taking on North Texas State, another Sun Belt Conference foe.
3. USC TROJANS/Pac-10 (2-0). The Trojans showed just enough offense and a lot of heart to withstand Ohio State and 100,000 screaming Buckeye fans in Columbus. Don’t be surprised if Washington gives USC fits this weekend. Jake Locker is a more mature QB than Terrelle Pryor.
Miami and Cincinnati continue to impress with big wins, while BYU, USC and Utah all tumbled following bitter losses. This is the weekend we find out if Mississippi, Cal, TCU, and Houston are the real deal.
1. FLORIDA GATORS/SEC (3-0). The Gators failed to overwhelm Tennessee in The Swamp, which is puzzling after all the bulletin board material Lane Kiffin provided. We just might have a bit of a tussle in store for the SEC title. Not this week, though, at Kentucky.
2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE/SEC (3-0). And the Tide keeps on rolling, this time over North Texas State, 53-7. The work-in-progress Razorbacks visit this weekend with the potential to shoot off some fireworks of their own and take ‘Bama to the limit.
3. TEXAS LONGHORNS/Big 12 (3-0). The Longhorns outlasted Texas Tech, 34-24, and face little challenge this weekend with UTEP visiting Austin.
4. MIAMI HURRICANES/ACC (2-0). The way the ‘Canes are playing I could see them in the national title game in four months. But first they’ll need to get by Virginia Tech on the road this weekend. No small feat.
Mississippi, Cal, Miami, and Florida State tanked. TCU and Houston won squeakers over solid BCS foes. LSU should have lost to Mississippi State. USC still looks vulnerable. With a super weak SOS, Boise State is stagnant.
1. FLORIDA GATORS/SEC (4-0). Florida downed Kentucky but almost lost star QB Tim Tebow for the year to a wicked concussion. Their bye week couldn’t have come at a more opportune time with a trip to Baton Rouge looming on Oct 10.
2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE/SEC (4-0). Alabama registered an impressive 35-7 victory over Arkansas to stay neck and neck with SEC rival Florida. The Tide will hit the road and roll into Kentucky this weekend.
3. TEXAS LONGHORNS/Big 12 (4-0). Texas buried the UTEP Miners, 64-7, and conclude the weakest stretch of their schedule on Saturday as host to the Colorado Buffaloes.
Uh, Houston, we’ve got a problem. The Cougars stumbled against lowly UTEP and dropped out of the RF365 Power Ranking as quickly as they leaped into it. Say goodbye to Cal and Michigan, too. The top-ranked Gators face their toughest test of the season this week on the road in Baton Rouge.
1. FLORIDA GATORS/SEC (4-0). They know how to take care of Gator problems down in Louisiana. If Tebow isn’t taking the snaps for Florida this weekend, Numero Uno is going down.
2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE/SEC (5-0). The Tide took care of business against Kentucky last week, 38-20, but Mississippi poses the biggest trap game for them until Auburn at the end of the season.
3. TEXAS LONGHORNS/Big 12 (4-0). Texas is coming off a bye week and the ‘Horns are anxious to chew up the Colorado Buffaloes this Saturday in a tune-up for the Red River Shootout on Oct 17.
We’ve reached the midpoint of the season and Florida and Alabama remain on a collision course to meet in the SEC title game on December 5. Texas shook off what’s becoming typical first half sluggishness to KO Colorado. The ‘Horns face their biggest challenge of the regular season in archrival Oklahoma this Saturday—the last ever Red River Shootout to be played at the Cotton Bowl.
1. FLORIDA GATORS/SEC (5-0). Well, Tebow took the snaps, and like I projected, the Gators took the Tigers by the tail in Baton Rouge last weekend, 13-3. Arkansas visits Gainesville Saturday as 24.5-point underdogs. The Gators will win, but not by that spread.
2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE/SEC (6-0). Roll Tide, Roll. And did they ever, to the tune of 22-3, marginalizing Mississippi’s passing game and tossing the Rebs’ postseason hopes onto the now mounting heap of once possible BCS Cinderfellas. Steve Spurrier’s South Carolina Gamecocks come to town with visions of an upset dancing inside their helmets. Won’t happen.